Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove dried Multifil on glass?

Simonelee23
Community Newcomer

How to remove dried Multifil on glass?

Hi, my handyman got carried away using Mul-tifll (non shrinking, hard setting) whilst filling in some cracks in the wood and in the putty around my glass windows. It has dried and I'm finding it hard to remove from the glass. I would appreciate some advice. 

Regards

Simone

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Removal of dried Multifil on glass

Hello @Simonelee23 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about removing filler on your glass.

Please note that working around glass is very dangerous, please take extreme care not to hit, bump or press with extreme force as this could cause the glass to shatter and cause injury. Please make sure to wear personal protection such as rubber gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

Due to the drying nature of multipurpose fillers, it can't be immediately removed. I suggest using a Trojan Safety Scraper With 5 Blades and doing it in sections. The advantage of using a scraper is that it can be used to cut the surface of the filler allowing you to shape it. But removing it from the glass will take a while, I recommend taking your time so that you'll have a clean surface.

Let me call on our experienced members @Nailbag and @Dave-1 for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to remove dried Multifil on glass?

Good Evening @Simonelee23 

I would be using a stanley blade, horizontal to the surface of the glass by itself or better yet @EricL 's suggestion. That tool is something I should be buying as it would be perfect to gently but constantly scrape up to the edge of the overflow, it will wear away a little at a time. Rem patience is your friend for this type of removal. It dosnt require force, just persistance.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to remove dried Multifil on glass?

Hi @Simonelee23 

without a photo to be sure I would go with the scraper that @EricL has suggested or a slightly wider one that I use is this model. Either should work by slicing across the glass not stabbing in to the filler. You want to try and slice it off a glass surface level. Keep the blade as flat as possible to avoid scratching the glass

Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects