Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a indoor picket fence for xmas tree?

Ryan1980
Getting Established

How to build a indoor picket fence for xmas tree?

Hi, we are wanting to build a small picket fence for our indoor Christmas display at work. 

The area is around 5m in length and looking at a fence of 90cm in height. 
Looking for wood suggestions and white paint recommendation's along with brackets to have the fence angle around the area. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: indoor picket fence for xmas tree

Hello @Ryan1980 

Thanks for sharing your question about building and indoor picket fence. I propose using 92 x 11mm 5.4m Moulding White Pine FJ Primed DAR for the paling and 70 x 30mm 1.2m DAR Rectangle General Purpose Pine for framing. Using the timber moulding will simplify the cutting process and keeps the paling size uniform. It will take conservatively seven panels at 900mm lengths to make a 1-meter fence with a paling gap of 60mm. Since you'll be needing 5-meters that will equate to 35 panels which is equivalent to 6 lengths of timber moulding.  

I suggest using Zenith 8G x 30mm Countersunk Rib Head Chipboard Screws - 100 Pack for the paling and Zenith 8G x 50mm Gold Passivated Countersunk Rib Head Chipboard Screws - 50 Pack for the framing.

I'm currently drawing a sample image to give you an idea of how the frame can be put together. As soon as I finish, I'll post it here. If you want the fence to be articulate, I recommend using hinges to connect the fence panels together.

Let me call on our experienced members @JoeAzza, @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a indoor picket fence for xmas tree?

Hello @Ryan1980 

Thank you for your patience. I've placed the sample images below to give you an idea of how it's put together. In regards to the paint, I suggest using British Paints 1L White Semi Gloss Doors Windows And Trim Paint And Prime

Please note that the second fence does not need feet. This will prevent it from getting entangled with the first fence. The sequence will then go that the third fence will have feet, the fourth panel will not have feet, and the final part will have feet. Please note that the measurements are for reference, please adjust them to your needs. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

picket ryan 1.jpgpicket ryan 2.jpgpicket ryan 3.jpgpicket ryan 4.jpgpicket ryan 5.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @Ryan1980 

I like @EricL's suggestion for ease of building an internal fence :smile:

For the joining of the fence bits to go around the area how about Austyle 100 x 45 x 2.5mm Universal Lift Off Hinge or something along those lines?

Depending on the angle of the fence you may not need feet for the fence.

If you do need a fence then you could use 100 x 100mm 2.4m H4 Treated Pine Post and then use this at the rear of the post so that the bottom of the bracket is at floor height Carinya 200 x 250 x 25 x 6mm Heavy Duty Manhattan Angle Bracket - single - Black 

I would then put something over the bracket such as a sandbag or heavy weighted pot (or a non used office garbage bin filled with rocks :smile: ) That way it wont fall over.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Ryan1980 

I have built a number of these fences for various trade events over the years. What @EricL has proposed is an ideal design. Just keep the sections to 1200mm as this will be easier to transport, store and handle. I would go closer to 300mm over 200mm for the support feet for more stability with continuous straight sections. @Dave-1 suggestion to use quick release hinges is also on the money. These not only allow you to quickly and easily join and pull apart sections, but also to adjust the shape. Putting small kinks in the fence line will add support from them being easily tipped over if rested apon.

Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects