Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove bi-fold door frame?

Flavio
Finding My Feet

How to remove bi-fold door frame?

Hi, 

I would to to remove these aluminium bi-folding doors completely. I know how to remove the doors itself but not sure how to remove the bottom frame. I don't see any screws. See images. Thanks.

Flaviodoor frame.jpgdoor1.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove bi-fold door frame?

Hello @Flavio 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your bi-fold doors floor rails.

I suspect the rails have been installed onto the concrete base before the tiles were installed. I'm a bit worried that forcefully removing the rails will result in your floor tiles getting damaged as well as the floor rails probably have a flange under the tiles. I suggest engaging the services of an aluminium door installer to examine the bottom rail and see if it can be uninstalled without damaging your floor tiles.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their opinion on your floor rails removal.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @Flavio 

Love those doors! :smile: Removing them I havnt none done before. I actually want something along those lines when i eventually get my sunroom sorted. But figure the plate will be attached somehow under the doors. I know there should be no weight on the actuall door frame but me being me would have that in mind.

I really would go the path of @EricL's suggestion and get a door installer to help out. Are you putting in some other window/door type of deal?

Would love to see some photos of your project tho. :smile:

Dave

Hi @Dave-1 , @EricL 

really appreciate the feedback.

so my plan is to incorporate this alfresco area as part of the house. The first part of the plan is to raise the floor to the same level as the inside of the house. Second part is to  remove the two bi-folding doors and rails. Third and final part would be to re-flooring all together so it would look like one big kitchen/dinning area.  As part of the "testing" phase to see how it would look, I have temporarily raised the floor with some pedestal and put some tiles I had for the external area just to see how it would look like. Now that I liked, the plan is to do this floor raise with concrete and put some proper indoor tile to match the existing ones. 

That is why I don't mind if I break the files close to the door rails/bottom frame. I might remove them anyway and add new ones. 

Sending few pictures of how I raised the floor for now and what I am planning on doing with the glass wall and new bi-folding doors. 

Once again, thanks for the support.

Flavio20240908_151547.jpg20240905_215626.jpg20240908_151534.jpg20240908_170521.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Flavio 

If you have the budget for a new bi-fold door for the new location, then removing the old rails should not be a problem. Especially if you are re-tiling the area with new tiles, there should be no concern with damaging the tiles that are close to the rails. But before you get carried away, I propose planning your demolition first and thinking about hoarding the front part of the alfresco area so that your house will be secure from uninvited guests. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @Flavio 

Nice idea :smile: I dont see any issues from what you are proposing. The only one I can think of and its pretty much grabbing straws is would you need to let your insurer know as an outside area is now inside? Unlikely as I see way more positives to your project but trying to ballance it.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Flavio The door frame tracking and bi-fold door system would have gone in at frame stage for the house unless it was a later renovation. The doors will need to be detached from each other, then each door removed. Before permanently fixing the alfresco tiles in place, I would remove them. Then remove the silicone or grout between the tracks and the inside edged half tiles. This will provide a gap to protect those tiles from breakage in the process of removing the tracks. To remove the tracks themselves I would get the advice of installers as @EricL and @Dave-1 suggest. Ideally you want to preserve them as they will have a 2nd hand value if you're not repurposing.

Regards, Nailbag

Hi All, thanks everyone for the great suggestions. 

@EricL , I have one more question for you. As mentioned I am raising the floor with concreate so later I will add new tiles to match the same level as the as the exiting tiles. 

So my question would be what would be the thickness of the concrete slab to allow me to add the tile in order to be same level?

For instance,  let's say that current the gap btw the existing floor and the top of the existing indoor tiles is 120mm. Assuming that standard thickness of tiles is 10mm, what would be the thickness of my new concrete floor? Would it be 100mm? this would allow the 10mm from the tile + another 10mm for the title cement/self-levelling? 

please advice. 

Thanks,

Flavio

yes, I think in the end I will do just that and ask some professional advice. it just might save me a lot of headaches. 

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @Flavio 

As to the question of the height of the concrete floor you need, or screed? Not sure what the max thickness of screed is? I woyuld just work backwards from the top of the tile level. I would probarly buy the tiles first, then you will know the max mud that they are installed with, then the concrete or screed. I would definently look into how thick screed you can have. 

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects