Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make holes in ceramic tiles, stone benchtops & cement sheeting

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

How to make holes in ceramic tiles, stone benchtops & cement sheeting

Making clean round holes in tiles for taps or in a stone bench top for a basin waste isn't an easy task unless you have the right type of hole saw,

The hole saw you will need is diamond tipped along its rim. Don't bother trying to cash in on the diamonds, as they aren't' that type (I've tried). Instead of a traditional drill bit for a pilot, they use arrow headed TCT bits that are spring mounted, so they depress once the hole is started.

Making holes with these types of holes saws requires a practice technique that isn't included in the packaging. So, I thought I would share how it's done, at least how I do it anyway.

Just a note on safety regarding making and form of cut into engineered stone. This product has been recently banned in Australia due to containing "crystalline silica", which is extremely harmful. So, if your making cuts in to older bench tops will need to take extra precautions with your PPE, such as using a full face reciprocator and utilising an "M-class" workshop vacuum".

Screenshot 2024-08-20 at 9.55.06 PM.png

Materials

Short length/Off-cut of Dressed Pine Board or Similar (for tile cutting)

Ceramic Tiles

Stone Benchtop

Cement Sheeting

Tools

Diamond Rimmed Hole Saw

2-Speed Drill/Driver with Side Handle

Clamps

Saw Horses

P2 Respirator

Eye protection

Steps

Step 1

If your making holes in tiles or cement sheet, then you will need a some form of portable bench like saw horses or trestle.

In the case of tiles, ensure the tile is clamped to a flat clean surface, like a scrap of dressed pine board. The board also supports the tile in preventing it from breaking during the cut.

If you're cutting cement sheeting, then simply lay the sheet centrally over two horses.

Making holes in stone bench tops will be after installation.

Screenshot 2024-08-20 at 9.59.14 PM.png

Step 2

Once you have marked your holes, fit the Holesaw into your drill/driver. If your drill has a side handle option, fit that so you have increased control during the cut.

Then select low range from the gearbox. This maintains a slower speed but high torque (twisting power).

Screenshot 2024-08-20 at 10.20.53 PM.png

Step 3

If you have used holes saws before, you know there is a reliant on the pilot bit to get you started. In my experience you can ignore the ones that retract (I don't know the reason) because they provide zero guideline in the all important getting started. This is the brand that I used, which I have found to be excellent in clean finish and durablity.

Now's the time to put on your PPE.

With a firm grip on the drill, start by holding the saw on a slight angle as you lower it to the tile with the drill running at a medium speed. This technique of starting does take some practice on spare tiles to stop the saw from wandering.

Once the rim has taken, then start to roll the rim around in a wider circle to start with and then reduce this as the saw gains depth. Then straighten until the saw breaks through. This same technique also works on cement sheeting.

I might add some brands of saws allow for both wet and dry cutting. So for thicker and/or denser tiles, I would use water to help keep the Hole saw cool which will extend its life and will result in a cleaner cut. You can spray water on the saw while you making a cut via a helper or make a dam as explained in the next step.

So my two major tips are to practice first and unless you have a fixed pilot bit, don't attempt to start off drilling square on to the surface. 

Step 4

The technique for drilling into stone bench tops is the same. However it's a slower process due to the thickness of the material. So this will overheat the Holesaw. 

To keep the heat and reduce dust by making a dam using Blu-Tak or similar about 150mm in diameter and pour a small amount of water in it.

I then place an old towel on the shelf below with a tub to catch the water and debris once the hole saw breaks through.

I will add, that you don't have to use water, but it does make the cut go

Screenshot 2024-08-20 at 9.50.08 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-08-20 at 10.29.50 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-08-20 at 10.32.10 PM.png

  

Hope you found this helpful

Regards, Nailbag

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make Holes in Ceramic Tiles, Stone Bench tops & Cement Sheeting

Love your work, @Nailbag! This is an excellent guide that I trust many of our members will find useful.

Many thanks for sharing your expertise.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make holes in ceramic tiles, stone benchtops & cement sheeting

A note for our members: Engineered stone products have been recently banned for sale in Australia due to the risks associated with working with it. Natural stone products like Granite are still OK. As a rule you should always wear PPE when cutting/drilling stone/cement products. If you do have an engineered stone benchtop, it's best to speak with a professional to determine whether the adjustments you need can be made.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Thanks @Nailbag 

Definently helpful, and will keep it in mind if I ever drill stone benchtops. Love the blutak idea. Ive used the diamond drillbits before when cutting out some holes on a piece of villaboard and rember being stressed to get it accurate :smile:

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to make Holes in Ceramic Tiles, Stone Bench tops & Cement Sheeting

Thanks very much @MitchellMc it's a challenging and nerve-racking application, especially into a once off chance stone bench top. So, I hope these tips take some of the pressure off.

Regards Nailbag.

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Dave-1 Tiles and fibre cement is no issue, but agree with you on bench tops, the stress is huge when you only have one crack at it.

Nailbag.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects