Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a rotating bookshelf?

fhira
Getting Established

How to make a rotating bookshelf?

IMG_5057.jpeg

Hello, 

I am Fatema. I want to learn to make a rotating bookshelf like this from scratch. I live near Lidcomb Bunnings. What basic skills should I start with? How long it may take? What do I need to bring to the session? Are all the materials required for this project, available at Bunnings? Is there any session for power tools woodwork on next weekend?

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make a rotating bookshelf?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @fhira. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a rotating bookshelf.

That sounds like a great project. It would be considered a relatively in-depth project requiring a significant level of woodworking skill. Basic timber joinery would be a good place to start. Butt joins are all that will be needed. A butt joint in woodworking is a simple joint where two pieces of wood are joined end to end or edge to edge without any special shaping, typically using glue, nails, or screws.

There would be no specific session covering everything you'd need for this project, but our members would be happy to help and are there for you to ask questions. I'd suggest using Specrite 600 x 18mm Round Timber Multi Use Pine Panels, 285 x 19mm 1.8m DAR Pine Premium - 1.8m and a lazy Susan bearing plate for the base. You'll also need PVA glue and timber screws.

Since you'll be using the precut circles for the levels, the dividers can be cut with a circular saw. Depending on how high you make them, they might even be able to cut them in-store for you. You will need a jigsaw to cut the curve on the end book retaining sections. Here's a helpful guide: How to use power saws.

I've created some renders, which hopefully will help you understand how the unit can be put together.

To see upcoming D.I.Y. classes at Bunnings Lidcombe, you can check their webpage. Currently there doesn't appear to be any workshop covering woodworking.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
fhira
Getting Established

Hello Mitchell, 
Thank you for your email with a lot of information. Is there any way to get notification for woodwork workshop? Will there be any automatic notification? I don't want to miss it. If a small group of 3-4 people approach for woodwork activities, is there going to be more chance of having those or does Bunnings have its own way to decide which workshop will happen? It's wonderful to have you answer all of my enquiries about creating a rotating bookshelf. Those link helped a lot.

Regards

Fatema

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Your best bet might be to have a word with the Activities Organiser next time you are in-store @fhira. If there is a group of people looking to attend a woodworking workshop I trust the store would be happy to take a look at whether running one would be a possibility. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects