Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install home security cameras for a flat in a block?

SLlo
Finding My Feet

How to install home security cameras for a flat in a block?

I am owner occupier of a 2 bedroom flat upstairs with a balcony within a block of flats total of 8 flats.

I would like to have security cameras and looking for recommendations. Would like to use a door bell option but don’t know how that would work as the main access entrance door is shared with other flats there’s a door and a buzzer next to the door for each flat so I don’t think I could put a doorbell camera at that point nor Even on my front door inside the block.  Was thinking perhaps a wall light in the hallway just outside of my front door that has a camera in it as well.  Then perhaps get a camera door lock on my front door then install a camera on my balcony pointed to the main entrance door and another camera set up to see the side of the building and the back  of the building perhaps somehow installed inside of my window pointed out to the areas of concern. I would also like a camera hidden at the letterbox area.  I don’t want to involve my neighbours or the body corporate and I want to try to install on my own property which I hope would mean that I don’t need to ask for permission and therefore not have their involvement.  I just have very intrusive nosey neighbours and I like to keep my privacy!  Also I want to get someone to do all the installation of this as i can’t manage it on my own.  Does Bunnings do camera installation and set up?  Or make any recommendations for someone I can hire to get this done.  So I am looking to purchase eufy 2 camera package plus the hall camera wall light plus the door lock video handle.  Or any other ideas and recommendations are very welcome!  If anyone else has the same experience of living on a flat and solutions for home security cameras. 
many thanks! 
ps I can provide pictures if needed to provide some extra help to understand my question and needs

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: home security cameras for a flat in a block

Hello @SLlo 

Thanks for sharing your question about installing home security cameras in your home. It does become a bit tricky if you don't want the body corporate involved. The majority of your cameras will need to be installed inside your windows and can't be installed outside your unit as you'll need to ask permission. However, if there was a device that you would ask permission for, I suggest asking if you can install the Lockly Satin Nickel Vision Smart Lock Deadbolt With Video Doorbell.

This lock covers the some of the things you wanted. It has a camera and senses when someone is in front of your door and sends a message to your phone. It has a biometric lock a digital keypad and a normal key cylinder. It is a smart lock and can be controlled from your phone. A versatile lock with many functions.

I'm sorry but the camera installations service is no longer available. I recommend having a look at these helpful guides: How to set up a smart home security system and How to choose a home security camera.

If you do require professional assistance, I suggest considering services such as Hipages or Airtasker.

Let me call on our experienced members @CSParnell, @Nham and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects