Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install eaves?

nishtha
Growing in Experience

How to install eaves?

Screenshot_20240623-155035_Photos.jpg

 this is going to be a weird one but I want to pick the brains of this community.

As you can see in the top section of the house there are no eaves (hopefully I have got the terminology right). The part where the roof kinda hangs a bit.

It's an old 30+ years house.

One of the windows is definitely rotting too.

I want to ask is there any way to have the eaves installed now and do we we actually need to install it? Are there any benefits to it?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: install eaves

Hi @nishtha,

Many thanks for your question about installing eaves where there are none.

That is certainly an interesting question that I can't say I've ever come across before. I suppose it's technically possible, but it would not be straightforward, and the cost to do it would likely exceed the benefit gained.

Eaves are installed on the underside of the roof rafters. To retrofit them, you would need to add extensions to these rafters assuming they run in the correct direction.

If you wanted to have things assessed to see whether it is a viable plan or not, I would suggest contacting a qualified roofer to come out and quote the job. If it is possible, they will be able to give you an idea of the price and if it is not, they'll be able to tell you why based on the structure of your existing roof.

The best thing you can do to protect the timber from rot is to ensure it is sufficiently sealed and painted with a high-quality exterior paint such as Dulux Weathershield. I'd suggest having this facade repainted is a more cost-effective way of protecting the timber.

You might also get some benefit from installing awnings over the windows.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

nishtha
Growing in Experience

That's a great point regarding the awnings.

Can I have awnings installed on weatherboard? As you can see that section is weatherboard.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nishtha,

Behind the weatherboard, there will be timber studs. The awning must be attached through the weatherboards and into the timberwork so it has a structural connection.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to install eaves?

Afternoon @nishtha 

An awning would be feasabile, Are you after a look, to keep the sun out or weather protection?

If its just weather then replacing the rotted part of the window (suggest to use a builder fort hat one) and making sure the other is ok at the same time would be the easiest. 

An awning as @MitchellMc suggests would be possible, and would look fairly nice tho not sure how many windows you have on the top floor to make them all look matchy matchy.

How badly rotted is the window frame section and which part of the window frame?

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects