Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Looking for lighting ideas for a motion-sensitive dog

Steve5
Having an Impact

Looking for lighting ideas for a motion-sensitive dog

Hi,

I've got a dog that is overly sensitive to shadows and light movement. 

She gets agitated when I walk through a room where there are halogen down lights.

She has no problem when I walk around rooms with light fixtures that don't throw shadows like the photo below.

I've started only using lamps in the rooms with halogen down lights but there are still some shadow issues where she gets agitated by the light projected on the ceiling.

I don't want to change the halogen fixtures to ones like the photo although that might be an option.  Does Bunnings sell these with single and double globe options?

Does Bunnings or anyone sell globes that will hang down from the halogen fixture?  (yeah, stupid question but have to try..)

Does Bunnings or anyone sell globes I can put into lamps that aren't too glaring when I remove the lamp shade?  Maybe some kind of decorative globe like they have around mirrors? Need bayonet globes.

Any thought or ideas greatly appreciated!!

Light Fixture.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Looking for lighting ideas for a motion-sensitive dog

Hi @Steve5,

You have a couple of options to consider. One approach is to actually increase the number of light sources to reduce shadows. This could involve adding multiple light fixtures on the ceiling or using side lamps strategically placed around the room. While this can provide even illumination and minimise shadows, it could result in a very bright environment, which may not be ideal.

Alternatively, you could opt for softer lighting solutions. Soft light tends to create more diffused shadows, which might be less intense and less likely to agitate your dog. This can be achieved using lamps with low wattage bulbs or fixtures that provide indirect lighting. You might like to look at the decorative range of bulbs. There's also a dimmable range of globes or smart capability globes where the colour and intensity can be controlled from an app.

Our batten fix opal shade lights typically use a single compact globe.

I haven't come across any globes that will hang down from a halogen-style light socket.

There are many frosted bayonet globes available that might suit your needs for the lamps.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Looking for lighting ideas for a motion-sensitive dog

Thanks, always great get ideas here!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects