Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a wall underneath staircase?

zenaxbeana
Just Starting Out

How to install a wall underneath staircase?

Hi everyone, 

I’m looking for advice on how or the best way to install a wall/seperation in an awkward bit of space underneath my stairs. Please keep in mind my partner and I are first time renovators with little to no experience in this field. 

Just to make things even more difficult, I’d still like access to underneath the stairs to utilise the space for storage. Would a bifold door work better? If not how do you approach installing a wall? 

Ideally, this space would eventuate to somewhat of a mudroom where you could sit down, take your shoes off, have shelving space etc etc 

Much appreciated,

Zee

733C7066-BE59-44EC-9A15-28128FCB2D01.jpeg

68851B14-FA17-4BA9-A229-AB537A71C017.png

1F634292-0E7B-4CCB-825C-DC32CED28AFC.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install a wall underneath staircase?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @zenaxbeana. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a wall.

I might be misinterpreting the wall part, but could you provide us with a little more detail on where that would go? Perhaps you just mean you'd like to enclose this area with a door. If so then the bifold idea would certainly work, or if you could remove the piece of timber jutting out from the end of the stairs a barndoor could be installed. When open it would cover the stairs to the right. I think that would look terrific and also suit your mudroom theme.

Was the mudroom to be under the stairs? If so, you could easily make some lightweight doors on hinges to cover the storage area at the end and under the first flight of stairs.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi MitchellMc, 

Thank you for your response, it’s much appreciated. I’d definitely consider the barn door given our skill level however I’d really like the mud room I.e shelving, a place to sit.  

Yes, you are correct. I’d like to enclose the area underneath the stairs (but still access for storage). I’m assuming this will be easier done with a door given the information you’ve provided.I’d love to add some slat wall panels to the door for texture like in the reference pictures. I just wasn’t sure on the step by step process or if it were achievable. 

thank you once more, 

Zena 

Hi @zenaxbeana,

I'm still a little confused about what you'd like to achieve and where. Do you wish to create the mudroom under the second flight of stairs and then under the stair return and first flight storage? Do you want a small two-seat bench under this area facing the camera or a slightly longer one along the wall?

I'm unsure how the barn door would obstruct the creation of the mudroom. Perhaps you could draw a quick sketch so we can better understand the placement of items.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects