Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a ceiling fan?

quasilvia
Finding My Feet

How to install a ceiling fan?

Hi,

I am trying to install a ceiling fan in a 1965 apartment. The apartment has pop corn ceiling and there is already a box there. Unfortunately I have no idea if it will hold the fan but it looks pretty sturdy and the previous light was heavy. Would you suggest to proceed with the installation or replace it? 

IMG_7018.jpeg

IMG_7019.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ceiling Fan box

Hi @quasilvia,

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Unfortunately, this sort of installation is considered electrical work requiring an electrical licence. 

For this reason, unless you are a licenced electrician, I'd suggest you cease work and contact an electrician for assistance.

If you need to find an electrician in your area, I'd suggest using a service such as HiPages or True Local.

The electrician will be able to install the fan in a safe and satisfactory fashion.

Jacob

Hi, thanks for your reply. But you have not responded to the question. Would this box be suitable for a ceiling fan? Thank you

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @quasilvia,

You'll need to get into the ceiling cavity to check how the electrical box is mounted.

Typically, ceiling fans will be mounted to an electrical box that is attached to either the ceiling battens or the roof trusses with a cross strut. As they create dynamic loads, it is not suitable for them to simply mount on to an electrical box that simply sits on the plasterboard.

If the box is connected in this fashion, you would then need to confirm with the ceiling fan's installation requirements and the electrician whether it is feasible or not.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

R4addZ
Getting Established

Hi

Looking at the type of box in the ceiling, it looks like the ceiling may be solid concrete as that type of fitting is usually on the end of a conduit through which the wiring is run. If this is the case, I would expect it to be able to take the load, but it would be best to get an expert on site for a true assessment.

Thank you very much! I think the same, however I’ve asked an electrician to come and have a look!

cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects