Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang a 50kg mantel into limestone?

Bill6
Just Starting Out

How to hang a 50kg mantel into limestone?

Hi... need some advice please!! I have a free standing fireplace at home made out of limestone. the limestone is 100mm thick.

I want to hang a mantel above the fireplace. Mantel dimensions are 2000mm long x 240mm deep x 80mm thick and weights 50kg.

I want to mount it with a hidden bracket like the one below, but I'm worried the limestone wont be able to hold the weight? can anyone offer some advice please.... thanks.

Bill6_0-1720153057074.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to hang a 50kg mantel into limestone?

Hello @Bill6 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about mounting your mantel into your limestone wall.

I recommend doing a bit more investigation in regards to what is behind your limestone wall. Limestone is a relatively soft material and might not be able to carry that much weight. If there is a masonry wall behind your limestone wall that would be a better material to anchor onto.

Another thing that I noticed is that your hidden bracket has been designed with little holes for mounting. I propose amending that and adding large holes so that you can mount heavy duty bolts to hold the assembly on the wall. 

If you find a masonry wall to anchor to, I suggest using Ramset 300ml Chemset UltraFix Plus in combination with Ramset M16 x 190mm Chemset Anchor Stud Galvanised. This will provide a robust anchor for your mantel. However, if it becomes too difficult, I suggest engaging the services of a registered builder that has experience in mounting mantels.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @Bill6 

I havn't had a chance to drill into limestone but as @EricL states it is a soft material. Like Eric I wonder if its a "face" to the fireplace, tho that 100mm has me thinking its just going to be limestone. If its limestone I would probarly edge towards a stonemason or a builder to make sure the material is suitable.

Id like to offer a warm welcome to the Bunnings community, Its a good place to start looking for solutions :smile: I am sure there are a few people in here with some knowledge of limestone.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Bill6 I think the steps @EricL has suggested will work fine for this application. I would just add applying a generous amount of landscaping liquid nails to the back of the plate and give it several days to fully cure before fitted the mantle.

Would love to see the finished project photo 👍

regards, Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects