Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix water in a cavity wall?

lisyloo725
Getting Established

How to fix water in a cavity wall?

Hi troop, 

We recently had the wall between a bedroom and its dressing room opened up (our son didnt require 4m of hanging space!!!) - and concerningly, found deepish water inside the cavity wall.

The house is on a slope. The bedroom subfloor (rock) is permanantly wet with little puddles.

The diagram shows all the relevant info - what would you do to solve this?

lisyloo725_0-1725713210142.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix water in a cavity wall?

Hello @lisyloo725 

I would only recommend a sump pump if it becomes impossible to find the location of where the water is coming from. If the water comes in very large torrents during a heavy downpour, then it would be safe to have a sump pump installed in a very large pit under the house. It's not an ideal solution, but it's better than flooding the bottom of the house. I propose looking at the Ozito 500W Vortex Submersible Sump Pump as a possible candidate should you decide to install a sump pit.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to fix water in a cavity wall?

Morning @lisyloo725 

Woooo you guys have done loads of work! And I really get your frustration.

I would have and have done similar to you in removing the possibilities of water endtering via your trenches and ag pipe. (Does water flow out of them at all?)

I think that there is a water table from your description, So a question. Does the water level rise or can yous ee water traveling in any direction?

I  would also head towards a sump pump, tho not ideal. I would be tempted to chanel the water so the sump pump is outside the building. The floor likes like stone/shale? Mainly because if there is an issue you can see and also replace the pump easily. Any water left under the house will cause issues 😕 

It sounds like an intense but way interesting project. @EricL's mention of rain and inundation could be measuered against the amount and flow over a week or so after a rain event? Will keep thinking about it and get back to you if I think of something else. :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects