Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix screw casing on plug socket casing?

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

How to fix screw casing on plug socket casing?

Hi to everyone

I noticed the casing to this dual power point was only secured at one end.  On the inside, the bit at the end of the casing that the holds screw in  is cracked and the molded fitting to hold the screw in place has broken off.  I tried gluing it but my eyesight is too poor to mold it back on properly.  Is anyone able to suggest an alternative to hold the screw in?  Something I can put inside the casing to secure the screw.

Thanks 👍

20231110_185938.jpg

20231110_185726.jpg

DIYGnome
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to fix screw casing on plug socket casing

Hello @Tyro firstly all electrical work is supposed to be carried out by licensed/qualified Electricians, that being said let's discuss the hypothetical solution, I note that the power point is made by Deta and as such a replacement fascia should still be readily available, as they are not excessively priced that would be the path I would recommend, having a new one fitted for you 😉   

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

You are a legend @DIYGnome !  Thank you so much.  I am SO aware of the need for an  electrician when it comes to the wiring, but at $85 for the call out fee and a good camera on my phone ... weeellll.  I actually started this task just because the cover wasn't secure!  And I even know where the power board is to turn off the electricity!  Thank you for being able to identify the brand ... 👍👏👏👏

Cheers 🤗 🍻

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Tyro,

I concur with @DIYGnome; it's time for a replacement cover or powerpoint. Regardless of being able to isolate the powerpoint at the board, this is a job for a licensed electrician. It's not worth taking the risk. I'd pick up a new powerpoint and have it ready for when the electrician turns up. That should hopefully minimise the cost.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc   

I looked for a replacement last night but the Bunnings website came up with zilch.  Since my new hero @DIYGnome  has better eyesight than me and supplied the brand name, Bunnings website has found I/N: 4331955.  It has the same appearance, so 🤞  I've just spent about 45 minutes trying to get the computer to take payment for it but the site is just not doing it.  So I'll go instore and grab it tomorrow.  I'll tackle the bathroom sink today.  I'll undoubtedly need your advice on that too! 😁

Cheers 🤗

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm so sorry to hear you're experiencing difficulties with the site @Tyro. However, it's a good excuse to drop in for a sneaky weekend sausage sizzle, though! 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Oh you're a wicked man @MitchellMc ! 😁😉

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi @MitchellMc  and @DIYGnome 

I finally managed to turn my brain on today and found a quick fix ... I cut a thin strip of plastic out of the top of a plastic drink bottle.  Slid it in the screwhole at the same time as the screw, thus making it a tighter fit!  The plate is now firmly fixed in place!

Yayyy!  That is at least one task ticked off The List!

To celebrate, I will now buy at least one extra plant when I am in Bunnings tomorrow (and maybe a BBQ sausage too!)! 🤣🤣

Thanks to you both for your contributions! 🤗

Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects