Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to refinish floorboards?

rick6947
Getting Established

How to refinish floorboards?

Hello Community,

I am looking at refinishing my wood floors at home have been researching stain and was wondering do i need to use both a stain (for example Cabot stain and varnish) along with a clear sealer such as a clear polyurethane? Any advice would be appreciated.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Refinishing floor boards

Hi @rick6947,

If you're using a pure stain, you'd need a protective coating over it, like Cabot's CFP. The clear topcoat protects the timber and prevents the stain from wearing off prematurely. However, you can get a blotchy effect from the stain if the timber flooring doesn't absorb it evenly. The recommended method with Cabot's products is to apply a coat of CFP directly to the flooring, then apply your stain and varnish in the colour you desire and then another coat of CFP on top of that for protection. You'll need to observe re-coat times for all three coatings.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Refinishing floor boards

Hello Mitchell,

Thank you for your response and great advice i will let you know if i run into further issues appreciate your help.

Regards 

Rick 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects