Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix gap between floor and wall?

TNM_99
Just Starting Out

How to fix gap between floor and wall?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hello!

The previous owner of my unit has done a bit of a dodgy DIY job on the floor. There’s about a 1cm gap between the wall and the floor. It’s a bit of a nightmare in terms of being a dirt and dust trap.

I am interested in laying vinyl flooring over the top of the wooden floor, would I need to fill these gaps before I do that? 
If so, what can I do to fill these gaps?

Thank you in advance! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix gap between floor and wall

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @TNM_99. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about covering a gap in flooring.

Typically that gap would be covered by another thin strip of the floating flooring, or if it's close enough to the wall, a skirting board would cover it.

What type of vinyl flooring were you thinking of? A hybrid vinyl solid board or flexible vinyl matting? If you are using a floating hybrid floor, that gap is likely negligible, and the new flooring should cover it without issue. If it's vinyl matting, then you'll need to fill the gap with something of the same thickness. This could be a simple as using a strip of timber.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Bomber25
Building a Reputation

Re: How to fix gap between floor and wall

If you choose to leave the flooring as is, you can get floor quad at 19mm that should cover the gap. 
https://www.bunnings.com.au/porta-19-x-19mm-1-8m-moulding-tasmanian-oak-tri-quad-select_p0080745

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects