Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix flaky paint on brick internal walls with plaster?

jordcam1983
Getting Established

How to fix flaky paint on brick internal walls with plaster?

  So I live in Perth WA. As most residents in Perth our internal walls are brick with a plaster layer. Im about to change the colour of the walls in my house. Upon removing an old sliding door guide, the paint was flaking where it used to sit. I had used a scrapper to remove the flaking paint, until it wasnt flaking off no more, of which it just kept going and

1000017427.jpg

1000017428.jpg

going. Now its back to the chalky under coat of plaster.

To get it back smooth do i just use a skim coat plaster where the old paint and under plaster finishes, sand smooth then use a sealer paint over it? 

1000017427.jpg

1000017428.jpg

My question is

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix flaky paint on brick internal walls with plaster?

Hi @jordcam1983,

Thank you for your question about refinishing walls where paint was previously flaking.

Yes, what you've described is the way to go.

Apply a skim coat of a plaster topping compound, sand smooth with a hand sander then paint to match the surrounding wall.

There's not much to the process, but ensuring you use a high-quality topping compound and mixing it thoroughly before applying will make your life as easy as possible. This will ensure the mix is airy and free of lumps allowing you to apply it as smoothly as possible. 

Use a wide plastering tool such as this Kango 355mm Taping Knife to get things nice and flat over a wider area. Allow it to dry then sand smooth before painting.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects