Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix external window seals?

msrenovator
Just Starting Out

How to fix external window seals?

Hi I have this window but it seems I’m missing some rubber in that gap. Does anyone know what it is called so I can replace. The front of the house has something similar but it has a black rubber looking thing. Also what paint should I use to touch up on these frames? They were originally dark brown

IMG_3036.jpeg

IMG_3037.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: window seal

Hello @msrenovator 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your window frames.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion regarding painting your window frame - How to clean or paint my window frames? by @lisha. You'll find a good explanation of how to paint your window frames. The general steps would be to clean your frames and prepare its surface for painting. It's then masked over to prevent the glass and other parts of the building from being overpainted.

In regards to the seal, would it be possible for you post a photo of the old seal itself at the front as you mentioned. Once we see this seal, we'll have a better idea of what it looks like and see if there is anything similar to it at the store. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

IMG_3321.jpeg

Thanks for the reply. It doesn’t seem like rubber and more a cover

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @msrenovator 

Thank you for posting that picture of the plastic cover on your window. I've had a thorough search and I'm afraid that plastic cover is custom made for your window when it was originally made. The majority of the rubber or plastic coverings are too big or unsuitable and will not fit that channel.

However, since you are planning to repaint your window frames, it's possible to paint that section black so that it blends in with the other windows. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects