Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix Whitco window lock thats not opening with key

johnnikk
Finding My Feet

How to fix Whitco window lock thats not opening with key

85B89024-E700-48F3-BC2C-FEB2F4958586.jpegLock button stuck down and won’t unlock with key. Tried suggestion of pushing button at same time as jiggling key, but still no movement of button. Is there a fix? Thanks.

Raz72
Just Starting Out

Re: How to fix Whitco window lock thats not opening with key

Hi there checking if I can take the whitco out, to try unlock as no keys ?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Raz72 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your query about your Whitco window lock.

If you are planning to remove the entire assembly, I suggest checking the type of screws used to mount the window lock. If the anti-tamper screws were used it will be necessary to use a Sutton Tools No2 Easy Out Extractor Screw Set

Once you have the screws out the entire set can be removed. You can then either attempt to find a compatible key or replace it with a new Whitco White Lockable Window Winder.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

WD40 should not be used on locks, try graphite powder.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community and thanks for joining in the discussion @redridgegoats. It's great to have you join us.

Can you please explain to members why they shouldn't use WD-40 on locks? It sounds like you have knowledge and experience to share. 

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share with other community members.

Jason

WD40 can attract dust and dirt making your lock stiffer,  it will also dry out the existing lock lubricant.

Silicon spray or graphite should be used instead.

I 100% agree, @redridgegoats, as I am quite passionate about this topic. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to prize a can of WD40 out of someone's hand and replace it with a container of graphite. However, if I've read correctly, we are not lubricating the key cylinder here; we are trying to loosen up the winder mechanism, chain and locking pin from a stuck position, and I believe that is why my colleague has recommended the WD40. We wouldn't recommend it for regular chain maintenance and certainly not cylinder lubrication.

As graphite is not a penetrating lubricant, I think we'd find it hard to get it inside the bound-up mechanism where it's needed. Since there's no movement to the mechanism, we also can't work it in mechanically. Silicon spray is an option, and if there were any movement at all to the operation, then that would be a great choice, but once again, it just doesn't have the penetrating power of an oil like WD40. There's no question that after the chain is freed, the oil should be removed from it and the locking pin, and replaced with either graphite or silicone spray, but I feel in this circumstance, using a little WD40 to initially unlock the bound mechanism is appropriate.

WD-40 is a wonderful product with thousands of uses, but it's not appropriate in situations like chain, lock, and hinge lubrication, as although it might initially help, it causes more harm than good for the reasons you've provided.

It's terrific to have another knowledgeable member join us and I look forward to your future contributions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects