Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill laminate flooring to tile transition?

LeopoldProjects
Just Starting Out

How to fill laminate flooring to tile transition?

Hi, I have just laid laminate flooring and need a solution to add a trim from where the flooring meets tiles. They are not at the same level. I have left a 10mm gap. Not sure what is best option

1000001689.jpg

1000001690.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill laminate flooring to tile transition?

Hi @LeopoldProjects,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is wonderful to have you with us.

What is the difference in height between the laminate and the top of the transition?

If it is roughly 10mm you can likely use some 8 x 8mm Tri Quad Tasmanian Oak or 12 x 12mm Tri Quad Tasmanian Oak to cover the transition. This could be cut to length and stuck in place with Liquid Nails.

Another option is this Hanwood Blackbutt Vinwrap Floating Floor Quad Trim which looks to be very similar in colour, however, the size might make it unusable in your application.

Let me know what you think and if you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

As per @JacobZ 's thoughts @LeopoldProjects 

Plus - If you have access to a table saw, you could rip the profile of your choice which would also fill that 'trenched' area between the boards and vertical aluminium.

Hi, sorry but what did you mean by this - "rip the profile of your choice" 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @LeopoldProjects 

In woodworking, a rip-cut is a type of cut that severs or divides a piece of wood parallel to the grain. Put in simpler terms you are cutting a strip of timber that is in the direction of the timber grain. So, if you only want a 50mm piece, then you rip-cut it from the edge of the panel of your choice.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning @LeopoldProjects 

As per @EricL's description - keep 'ripping' until you match the profile you want dimension wise.

To my eyes - your board height and aluminium height would accommodate something like this in profile.

A large bevel would help prevent tripping - hopefully.

This was just scrap radiata - hardwood would be better.

Cheers!

20240924_084423.jpg

20240924_094402.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects