Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill hole from ceiling fan?

tarragindi_haus
Finding My Feet

How to fill hole from ceiling fan?

IMG_8814.jpeg

Hi

I have had two ceiling fans removed from our house. This has left holes that are approx 15mm x 35mm that we need to fill and paint.

Given the size of the hole, I was wondering the best way to fill this? I was thinking to first fill the hole with multi purpose joint compound and then finish it off with top coat for a smooth finish. Is this right or is there a better way to go?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: best way to fill hole from ceiling fan

Hello @tarragindi_haus 

Thanks for sharing your question about filling the hole in your ceiling. I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to fill a large hole in Gyprock? by @Sam12. It's a very good example of how a hole in the wall can be repaired. The good news is that this technique also works on ceilings. Generally speaking, a timber piece must be placed inside the hole to act as backing. This can be secured with a couple of screws. Once the timber is in place you'll need a plaster patch to cover the hole and then the damaged area is plastered, sanded and painted.

I've placed some sample images below to give you an idea of how it's done.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How To Patch Plaster.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: best way to fill hole from ceiling fan

Evening @tarragindi_haus 

I have used Selleys 180g Spakfilla Rapid Gap Filler - 180g numerous times to repair holes like that.

For the smaller 15mm hole I would use a sharp stanley knife and gently run it around the edge of the hole to remove any loose bits and paper bits still left there. Then fill just the hole-ish, let dry, fill some more over the whole area then sand smooth.

For the 35mm hole Id go a little bit differant.

Use the knife again and do the same.

Then using a small piece of flat timber trim (10mm wide and around 80mm longish) plus some liquid nails on eiether end with a pit of string tied around the middle. You poke this up through the hole and then lay it across the middle of the hole, then gently pull on the string to make sure you have good contact with the timber to the ceiling. Once dry (poke it after the specified drying time to make sure it has stuck) then cut the string and use the plaster to fill just the hole, let dry and then plaster over the area as a whole.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects