Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gaps between door frame and studs?

MJB1
Just Starting Out

How to fill gaps between door frame and studs?

Hi, I have had new doors installed and I would like to fill the gap between the window frame/reveal and the studs to reduce noise and insulate the house a bit more to prevent heat loss in winter etc. the gaps around the large door are 20mm and the smaller door has a large 45mm gap above and 10mm down the side. 

my question is what would be the best (most effective) material to use here? There are suggestions of insulation off cuts, expanding foam or backing rod. 
the insulations will be difficult as there are packers and nails to navigate. 
Is it likely that the expanding foam will push the doors out of square or do anything else that may not be ideal? Will the backing rod be beneficial at all?

thanks for your input. 

IMG_8558.jpeg

  

IMG_8556.jpeg

IMG_8557.jpeg

IMG_8559.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill gaps between door frame and studs?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MJB1. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about filling gaps around windows.

Expanding foam would be the way to go. Provided the frames have been installed and fixed correctly, there's no chance of the expanding foam pushing them out of square. You could use backing rod if you can compress it and push it into the gaps. I think the expanding foam is likely to give you a better seal, though.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects