Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove this from hinged door lock?

klleeau
Finding My Feet

How to remove this from hinged door lock?

Hi, how can I remove these nail thing (don't know what it called) at the top and bottom of the lock? 

Thank you! 

1000038989.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove this from hinged door lock?

Hello @klleeau 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your door lock.

It appears that the installer used a specialized blind rivet to prevent tampering. In order to remove it, I propose using a drill and a drill bit that will fit inside the head of the giant rivet. This will allow you to drill the rivet out and the head will simply fall away as soon as the inside has been cut away.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @Dave-1 for their recommendations.   

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric. 

To install a new hinged lock, i'm likely need to use the pop rivet instead of the screw provided right?  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @klleeau 

I propose trying the screw first and see if it will attach itself to the aluminium frame. If it does not, I'm afraid you'll need to use a blind rivet for the top section.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Noted. Appreciate your response. Thanks!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects