Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gap between bricks and roof?

fred4761
Just Starting Out

How to fill gap between bricks and roof?

Hi, we are currently having a rodent(big mice or small rats) problem in our roof and we have started the process of trying to fill in all of our gaps in our external walls to prevent more moving in.

Our brick veneer home built in 1986 has quite a large corrugated gap (1-2 inches) between the outer bricks and roofing (allowing easy access to the wall cavity), which extends the entire length of the home.  From my research many pest companies are recommending copper mesh to fill holes or Bunnings looks to have a firmer galvanised mesh product but I’m not sure if it would be malleable enough to contour to the wave shape of the roofing without a lot of precise cutting.

We are just looking for some recommendations for which material to use and how to attach it as it can’t be screwed into the roofing. I was thinking of using silicone or potentially foam as it's a fairly large job or maybe some left over brick mortar as a cheap alternative. I don’t think the whole gap can be filled with filler as we don’t have any ventilation elsewhere.

thanks

20240625_154007.jpg20240625_154021.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill gap between bricks and roof?

Hello @fred4761 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about filling the gaps between your brick wall and the roof.

I propose doing a three-point approach to prevent rodents from entering your house. First is to set traps on the outside perimeter of the house, second is to cover all possible entry points from the outside and removing all forms of sustenance such as water sources and food for pets that might attract rodents. Third is to close off the gaps near your roof line and brick wall using mesh and timber.

Using brick mortar is a good idea, but you'll need to be very precise with your filling so that it does not fall over to the other side of the brick. Another option is to use a timber panel cut to the corrugated roofs pattern in combination with silicone. 

In regards to the galvanized mesh, your assessment is correct, it will be difficult to bend if you get the thick mesh. I propose visiting the store and see which one is soft enough for you to bend with your hands. My best advice is to make sure not to get anything with a wire gap larger than 5mm as mice will be able to pass through. In this instance the mesh with smaller wire gaps are the best.

Here is a link to our best advice: What is the best way to get rid of rats and mice?

I also recommend having a look at this discussion - Keeping mice out of the house by @Prof.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects