Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cut lengths to make a frame?

cobberboy
Community Newcomer

How to cut lengths to make a frame?

IMG_9565.jpgIMG_9561.jpeg

I am a disabled person who has taken on a "community job"
The Letters in the Photos go together to make one long sign that says "your community"

I used to work at the Sydney Theatre Company in their workshops, but my capacity with my disability is much more reduced, and I also don't have access to Cutting equipment to make the primarily 2" x 1" frame – to mount the letters away on a 45°angle above (out of reach) above a two board notice sign on the entrance to a community housing building.
I have been given a small budget to fulfill the task. Everything up to this point I have paid for myself.

Each individual letter was designed painted and meant to be a various ranging in sizes to give it a newspaper print feel.
My task now is to come up with a framework that is simple and light – that will be approved by the community housing provider – BridgeHousing in Sydney/Glebe.
Once completed, BridgeHousing have asked me to contact their subcontractors to attach the whole sign above the noticeboard.

I have measured the space in situ above the noticeboard, and I am working on a set of working drawings/drafting to make the construction of the hopefully " floating framework" become a reality that the community can continue to work on example paint and prepare for the BridgeHousing subcontractors to attach to the wall.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cut lengths to make a frame?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @cobberboy. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a frame.

Would you be able to do a quick sketch of what you'd like the frame to look like and how the letters will be presented in it? Some dimensions in the sketch would also be helpful. I can then take a look at the sizes and work out the best materials to use, and I can also advise if we'd be able to assist in-store with the cutting.

The other option might be to contact your local Men's Shed to see if they could assist with the project. They'll quite often be delighted to assist with community projects, especially if it involves woodworking.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects