Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cut a security screen to install a pet door?

kymmccarthy11
Finding My Feet

How to cut a security screen to install a pet door?

IMG_5372.jpeg

IMG_5371.jpeg

IMG_5372.jpeg

I need to cut a hole in the security mesh to fit a dog door. I bought a new ryobi angle grinder and a couple of grinding discs.  Every time I try to cut the security mesh the grinder cuts out after a few seconds and is mot cutting through.

Maybe I need a stronger disc?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: cutting security scteen

Hi @kymmccarthy11,

Thank you for your post about cutting through security mesh.

I'd be surprised if the disc you are using is the problem. As long as they are a thin cut-off blade, there is not too much difference in the quality. Is it possible to get some photos of the grinding discs that you have? 

I'd suggest the issue is more likely with the tool or the battery. 

What size battery have you got in your angle grinder and is it fully charged? Is it a new battery? Does the grinder run consistently when there is no load applied to it?

You might have some trouble with the power output if you are using a low Ah (amp hour) battery. Unless they are fully charged and relatively new, the lower Ah batteries sometimes struggle to output enough power to overcome the higher torque load applied to the motor when grinding.

If you haven't got a higher Ah battery, I would take the grinder with you back to your local store and head to the Tool Shop. They will have some store-use batteries there that you can use to test the tool. 

If you have an issue with the store use batteries, there is possibly a problem with the tool that would entitle you to a replacement. If you have no issues using their batteries, I would suggest you pick up a higher Ah battery such as this RYOBI 18V ONE+ 4.0Ah Lithium Battery.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Ryobi Battery.jpeg

Hi @kymmccarthy11,

Thank you for the follow-up photo.

I'm fairly confident that the issue you are having is because the 1.5Ah battery is not up to the task.

I'd suggest picking up a larger battery like I suggested earlier.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

You are right

thanks for your help 

No worries @kymmccarthy11,

If you ever have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There are always people in our wonderful community who are willing to help.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects