Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cut a hole on the NBN box?

rickychan
Growing in Experience

How to cut a hole on the NBN box?

I want to cut an opening at the bottom of the NBN box so that I can run the cables neatly. Since it’s a metal box, I am not sure which is the right tools to use. 

I bought a set of Ryobi 18V One+ 8 pieces kit. Is there any tools in the kit can do the job? Or do I need something else? 

thanks in advanced. 

R4addZ
Getting Established

Re: Cutting a hole on thr NBN box

Hi @rickychan 

You don't say if it is a plasterboard wall. The design of these cabinets is terrible as they give no easy way to locally add additional equipment. The one good thing is that it is not the property of NBN and as for not using the right terms you weren't to know. I would not recommend drilling through the door, I would drill down through the bottom of the box and then put a hole from the front below into the wall to intersect the downward hole and bring some cables through that way. Technically you aren't supposed to do this but its up to you.The regs don't want people installing cables through a void for safety reasons (you don't know what is in the void) so be very careful if you do DIY.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects