Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean or paint my window frames?

lisha
Just Starting Out

How to clean or paint my window frames?

So we are doing a reno on a house that was built in 1982.

We are really needing to know what is happening on these window frames. It looks like paint coming off but not totally sure. I have tried to give it a light clean and the silver, possibly aluminium frame comes through. I would like to know if I can clean them, if so what with or can I repaint? Thanks 

1000014970.jpg

1000014968.jpg

1000014972.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to clean or paint my window frames?

Hello @lisha 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Its sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question regarding painting your window frame.

Looking at the photo you posted, it appears that whatever paint was put on it has started to deteriorate, and you can now see the original aluminium frame underneath. The general steps to repaint the aluminium frame is to give the frame a good clean with water and detergent. Once the frame dries off you then mask off the areas you don't want overpainted. The aluminium frame is then primed and then painted with a topcoat.

Here is a link to our best advice: What is the best way to paint aluminium windows?

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

Here are some excellent window and door painting projects our Workshop members have shared:

In regards to the type of paint, I suggest using Dulux 300g Metalshield Etch Primer Spraypak Light Grey in combination with Dulux 300g Metalshield Epoxy Enamel Spray Paint

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects