Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Entry table makeover with mosaic tiles

kimamery
Having an Impact

Entry table makeover with mosaic tiles

I love adding mosaic stone tiles to pieces of furniture and other decor items. 

I had this old timber entry table that needed a refresh and using a couple of techniques I have learnt, tiling and textured art, I gave this piece of furniture a much needed makeover. 

Materials

Sugasoap
Selleys - Liquid Nails

Polyfilla - Timber filler 

Davco - Sanitized Colour Grout in light grey. 
Davco - Grey One Pot Tile Adhesive 

British Paints - Primer

Porters Paints - Aqua Satin Half Wood Smoke

Furniture Wax by Annie Sloan

Tools

Makita Orbital Sander

Clamps

Adhesive Spreader

Ryobi Drill

Sponge

Paint Brush and Roller

Steps

Step 1

IMG_3539.jpeg

I started by cleaning this piece of furniture with Sugasoap to remove any grime. I then scuff sanded the whole piece using my orbital sander and 120grit sandpaper, to ensure the paint will stick. 

Step 2

IMG_3552.jpeg

I then added trim around the table top which will encase the tiles and grout. 

Once cut to size, I secured using Liquid nails Fast Grab which cures nice and quickly. 

IMG_3553.jpeg

I held these in place with clamps to ensure they adhered. 

Step 3

IMG_3558.jpeg

I then applied the pre mixed tile adhesive using an adhesive spreader. 

It was then time to lay the tiles. They came in sheets that interlock together. I cut smaller pieces to ensure the tiles went all the way to the edge. This was the fun part. I left this to cure over night prior to grouting. 

Step 4

I then needed to mix the grout with water to create a thick texture. Ensure you use the measuring guidelines on the bag. I didn’t have a mixer so I used an old baking attachment and my ryobi drill! Sometimes you need to be creative 🤣

IMG_3568.jpeg

It was then time to apply the grout. 

I used this applicator by pushing the grout around in all different directions. These tiles are quite uneven and some gaps were quite large so I needed to make sure there were no air bubbles. I over filled at first then slowing removed the excess. 

IMG_3571.jpeg

I then cleaned the top layer back using a damp sponge. Here you will see if there are any gaps or air bubbles that you can refill if needed. 

IMG_3573.jpeg

Once cleaned back I let it set for 24 hours. 

IMG_3576.jpeg

Once dry you can wipe back which a damp sponge again and smooth off any rough patches using sandpaper. 

Step 5

 I had some excess grout so decided to add some details to each end of the table. 

IMG_3583.jpegI added some paint to give it a smoother texture and applied using a paint brush. 

IMG_3658.jpeg

 I then added patterns using this adhesive spreader. 

IMG_3659.jpeg

Step 6

I then painted the whole piece. Starting with British Paints primer, then two coats of Porters Paints Aqua Satin Half Wood Smoke. 

IMG_3660.jpeg

Step 7

IMG_3613.jpeg

I then sealed the tiles and grout using white wax. 

This protects them both from dirt and damage and makes it easier to dust and wipe clean. 

Step 8

IMG_3624.jpeg

IMG_3633.jpeg

I love how this piece came together and had so much fun creating a one of a kind entry table. 

IMG_3650.jpeg

IMG_3622.jpeg

I want to try this again using different types of tiles on other pieces of furniture. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Entry table makeover with mosaic tiles

Hello @kimamery 

Thank you for sharing your entry table makeover project. What a beautiful transformation of the entry tables benchtop. The tiles give it such an organic look and makes it truly unique. My wife saw your grout mixer and was immediately impressed, and I informed her that the drills chuck is capable of holding the baking mixer attachment with no problems. Like you said sometimes you need to get creative.

Many thanks for sharing.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Entry table makeover with mosaic tiles

I keep meaning to buy the actual tool to mix the grout but always forget! 🤣

Thank you for your comment ☺️

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects