Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to choose downlights?

BiggieM
Finding My Feet

How to choose downlights?

Hi Community, 

Hoping to get some guidance regarding changing downlight.

Recently, we purchased our first home and moved in. We find that the downlight are not bright enough and have mixed colour patterns - some are 'warm' and some are 'cool'. They are mostly Crompton 12V 35W FNV, 3000K (dimensions inner diameter 5.5cm, outer diameter 8.5cm). I had to twist them to unlock them from the frame and then pull out the lights from the socket. 

I am hoping to replace all of them (around 24-25 of these across the living, dining, alfresco and walkways).

Wanted to get guidance on the following options: 

1. Philips Master LED MR16 6.5W Dimmable (Believe this one will be simpler in terms of DYI) - Is this a compatible LED in my case? Also, any reviews or feedback with this one? Will it help increase the overall brightness. 

2. Philips Hue White Ambiance Bluetooth Downlight 90mm (Believe will need an electrician to move from the current option to this one or can this be DYI too?). But I am hoping this gives me a little bit of flexibility to play around with the light temperature and help find the preferred one. 

Thanks in advance and let me know if I need to provide any other information. 

Pics attached for the current LEDs and connecters for your convenience.IMG_4928.jpegIMG_4929.jpegIMG_4930.jpegIMG_4931.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need help regarding downlights

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @BiggieM. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about selecting downlights.

I'd suggest you'd want to go for a 7.5W 12V LED globe to be brighter than your current 35W halogen globes, as it's rated at 760 lumens (Lm). Both warm white and daylight colours are available. The Philips Master LED MR16 6.5W Dimmable is rated at 500Lm and would likely be around the same brightness as your current globes. These 12V LED globes are typically all compatible; just make sure to get the dimmable option if you have a dimmer.

The Philips LED 950Lm White Ambient Hue Smart 10W Down Light is rated at 950Lm and is significantly brighter than the globes you're currently running. If you have power sockets installed in your ceiling, you could unplug the current lights and install these yourself. However, if your current lights are hardwired, then you would need an electrician.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
iveg
Building a Reputation

Re: Are the old downlights halogen.

Are the existing downlights halogen?  I am only querying this as I have the same old downlights in my home. I did experiment with one downlight by replacing it with an LED globe. All it did was flicker. In doing any electrical work I would strongly advise you to enlist the services of a liscensed electrician. I have tried the globes Mitch has mentioned. My sparky says my down lights are an older type and will not take LED globes. I am lucky enough to have a twin globe light fitting on all ceiling, these I can use LED, globes so the combination on together works resonably well.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to choose downlights?

Hello @iveg 

Thank you for sharing that information with us, let me tag @BiggieM to make them aware of your recommendation. I've run into the same issue with the LED globes flickering on and off. My electrician changed the wiring in my ceiling so that I could use LED lights.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BiggieM
Finding My Feet

Re: How to choose downlights?

Thanks @MitchellMc@EricL,@iveg for your responses. Figured my downlights (halogen ones) don't have a plug and are indeed hardwired - bad luck.

Also, the openings in the roof cannot accomodate 90mm Philips option to be installed. So will be getting a sparky to help me carry out the project. Cheers. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects