Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach perspex to a void?

markhutch
Finding My Feet

How to attach perspex to a void?

Hi I need to attach some perspex or mesh to a void above some air-conditioning ducting in a loading dock of a apartment in the city the roof is concrete but the air-con ducting is fire proofed, what should i use to attach to this

fireproofing.jpg 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach perspex to a void?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @markhutch. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about attaching perspex.

You could likely use Sikaflex 11FC to adhere the perspex to the ducting. You'll need to attach the perspex to the roof first, possibly with some small angle brackets and bolts, and then tape the bottom edge to the ducting whilst the Sikaflex dries. Sikaflex 11fc works incredibly well as an adhesive, especially if a panel edge is bedding into it. Make sure to clean the surface of the ducting thoroughly before applying the adhesive to ensure maximum bonding.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

@markhutch 

Id suggest to go the rout of some chicken mesh wire and attach it tothe supports the airconditioner duct already have. If you need to form the mesh to follow the curve of the duct then maybe cut the mesh to be larger then the area and fold it over (like a piece of paper) It will give it backbone but still allow ofr easy bending. You trying to stop birds/possums? Id fasten the mesh to the support posts with cable ties.

Dave

Birds, I was just looking at an easier way to close the void, I can certainly net the area out but there is a door directly below it that will get caught up in the net.  I will definitely look at chicken wire.  I could also just adhere spikes to the top of the area which will stop the birds.  Question is can we drill into fire proofing my understanding is we cant.  Thanks for the advise

Dave-1
Community Megastar

@markhutch 

No way would I be drilling into fireproofing in the first place. Glue spikes sounds like a good option. or maybe string rows of fishing line up? I dont like messing with any type of fireproofing. Its there for a reason I figure.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Chicken wire sounds like the way to go, @markhutch. I'd agree with @Dave-1 that drilling into the fire-proofing or ducting is not a good approach. The chicken wire can be stuck in place with Sikaflex; just support it until the glue dries.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects