Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add a window seal?

ab123
Finding My Feet

How to add a window seal?

Another window question.

My glass of my windows meet to the wood with no distinct seal. It propbably is deep in there somewhere but I’m talking no cosmetic seal to hide the paint etc. It makes them unsightly and I want to tidy them up.  Indoors side

I don’t have the neatest sealant skills so would like to avoid that. Amazon seems to have self adhesive caulk strips but would love to stay Bunnings. 

IMG_2692.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: window seal

Hello @ab123 

I suggest having a look at this guide - How To Silicone Seal A Bath. They used a masking tape technique to create a channel for the silicone, thereby giving you a clean finish. I suggest watching the guide carefully so that you'll see how the tape is laid out. This same technique can be applied to your glass window. 

I suggest using the Sika 300ml White SikaSeal Kitchen And Bathroom Silicone Sealant. It is a neutral cure silicone and will not affect the glass finish.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ab123
Finding My Feet

Re: window seal

Thanks Eric,

I really want to avoid sealant due to no success even with the above method! 

any other options? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add a window seal?

Hi @ab123,

Are you trying to resolve a draft or looking to improve the appearance of the joint where the glass meets the timber? If it's more of an appearance issue, you could use a bladed scraper to carefully remove the paint that has ended up on the glass. That would neaten the area up nicely.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell, I have tried that but it still leaves an uneven edge that I would love to cover.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm unaware of any self-adhesive sealing strips that would work in this situation, @ab123. We have a variety of weatherseals, but none are small enough to work with this type of application.

Let me mention some of our helpful members, @Dave-1 and @Nailbag, to see if they have some suggestions.

Mitchell

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @ab123 

So many times I have felt the same type of dread/frustration even approaching a job that I am not confidant with. For instance my front door side window and it being that rough frosted glass feel on the inside, with the peopel who had the house before leaving paint on it. So it ended up with a roughish edge like yours. I put that job off for years! lol

I did start and complete it :smile: Took a lot of effort to learnb some fine skills but was worth it. Try and try some more another day was what it came down to. I like @MitchellMc's suggestion about using the razor balde to remove the old stuff and then using the silicone that @EricL mentions. 

Id actually suggest practicing on a window somewhere out of sight (say the bottom ish of the window of the bedroom) and use the tape thats been mentioned either side of an imaginary straight line. Silicone between the two strips of tape and practice the speed/constant/fluidity of it. That way its easy to remove after its dried and then you can have a go of the window edge itself.

I dont know of any weather tape that would hold up, generally I have found the more effort you go to the less time/overall cost it will be down the track

Dave

Nailbag
Becoming a Leader

Hi @ab123 as @MitchellMc has suggested, unless your getting an air leak, then it sounds like your after a cometic only resolve? I which case, I to suggest a fine blade running vertically where the glass meets the frame. Then use it flat against the glass to remove the excess. If you have the paint, you could then mask the glass and just run a fine brush along the edge. Let it dry and remove the tape which will leave a nice clean edged finish.

regards, Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects