Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I connect these glass shades to this lamp?

AlreadyLost
Just Starting Out

How can I connect these glass shades to this lamp?

Hi everyone!

I recently picked up a floor lamp with three stems from a charity shop, but it didn't come with any lampshades. I'm trying to attach glass shades I've found, but I'm having trouble figuring out the right type of lamp holder or fitter I need.

The shades have a large opening size, and I need a solution that can securely attach them to the lamp. 

Does anyone have recommendations for the best type of lamp holder or fitter to use? Or tips on where I might find such items? Any DIY solutions you've tried would also be appreciated!

Thanks so much for your help!

3.png4.png5.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I connect these glass shades to this lamp?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @AlreadyLost. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing lamp shades.

Unfortunately, this type of shade is designed to go with a larger mounts which utilise screws to secure it in place, similar to the Luce Bella White Base Finish Batten Fix. They were also used in chandelier-type roof fittings. Given the large openings of your glass shade, adapting them for use on a standard lamp fitting may be challenging, and I can't think of a way that you could adapt them for use in a lamp fitting.

Let me tag @Dave-1 and @Noyade to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How can I connect these glass shades to this lamp?

Good morning @AlreadyLost 

I have a feeling you are missing something of the lamp, there should be a screw section that clamps over a lampshade ring. Any chacnce we can get a photo without the tape so we can see the thread?

I have wanted to do the same type of deal with lamp shades ect, it is a head scratching exercise. @MitchellMc has already stated the main issue with that type of shade requiring a "ring" to fix it to the stand. 

Id say keep your eye out for that screw fitting that would thread down to clamp on your green stand. Then also keep and eye out for a usually brass coloured ring clamp with three screws. Second hand stores may have some. You just need the ring connector part. 

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects