Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

House in bushfire risk area - How to retrofit to a higher BAL Rating standard?

Chris1256
Getting Established

House in bushfire risk area - How to retrofit to a higher BAL Rating standard?

Hi, I have recently started looking at fixing the underfloor of my house to stop the debris getting in and having to clear it out all the time, then i have a bit of a Bushfire risk there as well and slopes are steep.

I have done a bit of research over the last few days and @Fotty86 has a similar interest, the best information i have found was from here Bushfire Retrofitting and they go into general detail but I am looking for additional ideas and photos of what people have done to make their house indestructible to bushfires.

Decks, Walls, Roof, Windows Everything and it would be really good to see some photos.

Maybe even what the BAL Rating should be for the modification you have done as well?

oh and advice is anyone has been through a fire with their property?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: House in bushfire risk area - Retrofit to a higher BAL Rating standard - Show me what you hav...

Hi @Chris1256,

Thank you for starting this conversation.

I'm sure our helpful members will be able to provide some examples in the near future, but please allow me to tag some to see if they have any examples or experience in this area, @Dave-1, @DIYGnome, @Nailbag.

In the meantime, you might like to have a look at Bushfire protection | YourHome for some good information on bushfires and how to prepare for them.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: House in bushfire risk area - Retrofit to a higher BAL Rating standard - Show me what you have d

Hi @Chris1256 unfortunately I have not personal experience in this area. One thing I do know is that though there are a lot of technologies to reduced the chance of bushfire damaging/destroying homes, don't have the expectations they can make it indestructible. 

Nailbag

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: House in bushfire risk area - How to retrofit to a higher BAL Rating standard?

Afternoon @Chris1256 

I would hit up your local bushfire brigade and have a chat. 

Or even your insurer as they will probarly have a bunch of things that they need to cover houses in bushfire prone areas.

Dave

riggs12
Getting Established

Re: House in bushfire risk area - How to retrofit to a higher BAL Rating standard?

The problem asking the local brigade is the incorrect information you may receive, they know their stuff for fighting bushfires but when it comes to this kind of thing they may try and assist when its outside their scope of experience.

I believe it may be better asking a professional that works on these kinds of jobs and has experience in this area than relying on volunteers.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects