Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I measure the amount of stones I need to cover a seating area in my garden?

APL
Finding My Feet

How do I measure the amount of stones I need to cover a seating area in my garden?

I have an area 3.5x5 that I want to lay 10mm white tuscan stones depth of 20-30mm but I cant work out for much I need.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I measure the amount of stones I need to cover a seating area in my garden

Hello @APL 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about putting stones in your garden area.

To calculate the volume of stones needed to fill an area of 3.5 meters by 5 meters up to a depth of 30 millimetres (0.03 meters), you can use the formula for the volume of a rectangular prism: Volume = length × width × depth. Substituting the given dimensions into the formula, we have: Length = 3.5 meters, Width = 5 meters, and Depth = 0.03 meters. The calculation is: Volume = 3.5 × 5 × 0.03 = 0.525 cubic meters. Therefore, you would need 0.525 cubic meters of stones to fill the area.

If the stones were 10 to 15 mm in size, you would still use the same formula to calculate the volume needed to fill the area. The size of the stones affects the coverage and appearance but does not change the overall volume calculation. 

However, consider that smaller stones (10 to 15 mm) may pack more tightly than larger stones, potentially requiring a bit more volume to cover the same area if there's less air space between them. Ensure that the stones are evenly spread to maintain the 30 mm depth across the entire area. The required volume remains 0.525 cubic meters, but you might want to order a little extra to account for settling or variation in packing.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
APL
Finding My Feet

Re: How do I measure the amount of stones I need to cover a seating area in my garden

Thank you so much should I use a compactor and fixing solution to make sure it’s level and the stones  don’t move 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Using a compactor will help ensure that the stones lock into position @APL. Typically, you shouldn't then have issues with them shifting, though if you have children that could kick them around, it might be an idea to add a border or edging to contain them.

Mitchell

APL
Finding My Feet

Thankyou for for help, however I have realised that the 10mm white tuscan pebbles that are sold by Bunnings only come in 15Kg bags can you please tell me how many bags I will need to cover this area to a depth of 20 to 30mm.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @APL,

Assuming the pebbles you are referring to are these Tuscan Path 10-15mm 15kg Snow White Marble Decorative Pebbles, using the measurements of the packaging as a reference for volume, one package of stones would be 0.017 cubic metres.

This would mean that you need approximately 31 bags to make up the volume of 0.525 cubic metres. This will get you extremely close to your desired depth, but some visual assessment once the stone is in place will help you determine if you need a bit more.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

APL
Finding My Feet

Thank you that’s a lot of bags pity they don’t come loose to purchase in bulk.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @APL,

I'd encourage you to speak with the helpful team at your local Bunnings store's Special Orders desk. They can check with suppliers in your area to determine whether any bulk delivery options are available.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects