Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Grid Connect tips, tricks and help

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Grid Connect tips, tricks and help

Hi all,

I thought it may he good to have a feed where we could share any tips and tricks to do with any of the Grid Connect Range being Arlec, Deta, Verve, Orion.

I am learning from trial and error and really just accident so sharing with others and sharing back we may be able to create some good learning information for us all.

Please post below starting with what the trick is as the title then how to do so as the body of information.

Carl 

omar
Finding My Feet

How to reset Grid Connect fan switch?

Hi everyone. I'm experiencing problem with grid connect fan switch that can not be reset after disconnecting and I have to turn off the switch board to reset them. Though the light is blinking rapidly the app can not discover them and if I choose the other mode they do not appear in my wifi list. Anyone can help?  I can reset other switches with ease but not the fan onces

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: grid connect fan switch

Hello @omar 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your grid connect fan switch.

I suggest isolating the fan switch by turning off all the other appliances in the grid system. Reset the fan switch and when it comes on the WiFi should recognize it immediately as it is the only one that is turned on. 

If after several tries and the WiFi still fails to recognize the fan switch, it is safe to conclude that there is something wrong with unit and will probably need to be replaced.

However, if the unit connects reliably, then we know that it can connect to the system. Turn it off and on a few more times to make sure that it is recognized by the WiFi. Turn all the grid appliances back on again and this time turn the fan switch the very last. If the fan switch fails to connect, then it's possible that the modem is overloaded with connections and is having difficulty accommodating your fan switch.

If you have another hub or a repeater, I suggest transferring your fan switch over there for connection to alleviate the congestion on your main modem.

Let me call on our experienced member @CSParnell for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hey @omar if the light is blinking that is a good start. 

First make sure your Wifi is set to 2.4g only not 2.4 and 5 

Second if it is blinking fast hold the button for a little more than 5 sec and the light will start blinking slow now hit + to pair and top right corner choose AP instead of EZ, it will ask you to connect to a different wifi look for Arlec or Smart life device, select it and then this time only, one connected then hit back until you get to the app and it will do its thing.

Third if that fails then go to your fan light switch that is on the app, go to settings within that switch and find delete, hit delete and all data. Then try AP pair again 

One of these methods should work the only time I've found its dead is if it literally does not show any signs of life.

Hi @omar 

Let us know how you go following @CSParnell's advice. If you are still having connectivity issues, please reach out to the technical team at cs@arlec.com.au so they can assist further.

Mitchell

I'll try and let you know . Thanks

The problem persists only with fan switches. I reached out months ago and they didn't know why this is happening.  I have more than 30 smart switches non giving me trouble in reconnecting it to the net it's only the switches with fans when you try to reconnecting them or reset them they're not responding and keeps on flashing rapidly then slowly every now and then. I'm frustrated with fan switches 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Can I please confirm that you've now followed the troubleshooting steps provided by @CSParnell

• First make sure your Wifi is set to 2.4g only not 2.4 and 5 

• Second if it is blinking fast hold the button for a little more than 5 sec and the light will start blinking slow now hit + to pair and top right corner choose AP instead of EZ, it will ask you to connect to a different wifi look for Arlec or Smart life device, select it and then this time only, one connected then hit back until you get to the app and it will do its thing

• Third if that fails then go to your fan light switch that is on the app, go to settings within that switch and find delete, hit delete and all data. Then try AP pair again.

Mitchell

omar
Finding My Feet

Hello Mitchell 

Yes I did all the steps nothing works accept turning the power off from switch boa. As I mentioned earlier I have more than 30 grid connect smart switches I experience the pairing issue only with fan switches.  I have 2,4 and single gang switches I can repair them easily no problem at all including the dimmer once. It's only the switches with fan switch on them for a reason I don't know. My wifi like all others 2.4 and 5ghz under one network name. I tried both Aze and AP and I enabled the flight mode as suggested still no luck 

Regards

Omar

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @omar,

Unfortunately, I'm not 100% sure how you could proceed from here as you've already tried all the troubleshooting methods that I am aware of.

I have contacted Grid Connect who were only able to offer the same advice that you've already been given. The only other potential option they gave was to turn the power off at the switchboard for approximately 30 seconds. Once the power is returned, the switches should default to pairing mode so they can be reconnected to the app.

They said that it might be helpful to call them so they can talk you through the process while you are troubleshooting the issue. If you would like to do this, their number for Australia is 1300 267 168 and New Zealand is 0800 003 329.

Also, allow me to tag @CSParnell to see if they can assist you further.

Jacob

omar
Finding My Feet

Hi Jacob

Thanks much appreciated. That's what I'm doing turning the switchboard off then on which is not practical.  I tried to contact them a year ago and they asked me to provide the serial number which I can not access  it unless I disconnect the switch which is not practical. Thank you again 

Regards

Omar

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects