Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Does the floor level need to be above the damp proof course?

sejj
Getting Established

Does the floor level need to be above the damp proof course?

Hi,

I am in the process of organising a garage conversion. There is currently a step down into the garage (indicated at G.L on plans below). The DPC is above this, and there is some minor damp coming through the bottom section of the wall (i assume below the DPC). For approvals, do we need to raise the floor level to above the DPC, or is there another solution for this?

sejj_0-1724827639761.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DPC in garage conversion

Hello @sejj 

Thanks for sharing your question about your garage conversion. If the dampcourse is already in place in theory, there should be no more condensation coming through your wall as it is supposed to be covered. I suggest speaking to your engineer or draftsperson who drew the plans for you to get some official clarification in regards to the condensation. I'm afraid they are the only ones who can say yes or no to your proposal as raising the floor produces a knock-on effect which affects the other aspects of your conversion plans.

Let me call on our experienced members @Nailbag and @Dave-1 for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @sejj 

I am not sure of the rules required, I actually had to go look up what DPC stood for :smile: "Damp Proof Course" 

Once I understood, then my path leads the same way as @EricL has suggested. The Draftsperson would know the rulings for sure.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Will need to first know what are you converting the garage space into @sejj ?

Nailbag

sejj
Getting Established

Apologies, it’s being converted into a bedroom.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Any questions related to approvals for construction works would best be directed to the people to whom you'll be submitting plans, @sejj. So, if you'll be submitting an application to the council for the works, then they would be the best place to ask your questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @sejj 

as @MitchellMc mentioned you will need to seek the advice when converting a non-living space into one. I've done this a couple of times now when renovating and my first point of call is my draftsperson. I had my ideas on what I wanted to achieve and she advised on what I'll need to do and be prepared for. She also draw up my plans to be submitted for approvals. But then changes had to be made on the fly to meet requirements of the building inspection company. Nothing was too complicated, but the message is to go through the proper channels, otherwise it can come back too bite you should you eventually sell the property.

Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects