Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you install Prempanel acoustic paneling behind a wood burner?

ncarroll83
Just Starting Out

Can you install Prempanel acoustic paneling behind a wood burner?

I am wondering if I can install the Prempanel Acoustic paneling behind my new Scabdia Edge 50 wood burner, as long as I leave the required 350mm gap, as per the Scandia instruction manual. I want to have a feature behind this fire place to finish the area off. 

IMG_4405.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Prempanel behind wood burner.

Hi @ncarroll83,

I'll need to contact Scandia tomorrow to clarify their instructions. Their requirements from flue to rear wall are clear, but I'd like to clarify the additional caution down the bottom about them recommending combustible materials be kept 1.22 metres away. Perhaps they mean movable combustible materials, unlike their requirements for the walls.

Many thanks for your patience.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you, that would be really helpful. I also read that but at the bottom and thought it very confusing and contradictory to the part above. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ncarroll83,

Just to keep you in the loop, unfortunately, Scandia's technical team are unavailable to take calls today. I have reached out via email and will update you as soon as we have a response.

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist with in the meantime.

Jacob

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ncarroll83,

Unfortunately, the Prempanel Acoustic panelling can not be used around open fires.

However, I have been informed by Scandia that they are happy for a timber batten feature wall to sit behind their heater as long as there is 350mm clearance and the timber is adequately fixed in place.

You might like to consider creating your own vertical batten feature wall similar to the one @Nailbag has created in his project 70's brick fireplace with floating hearth.

Let me know what you think and if you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects