Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I use this US power supply in Australia?

learningDIYer
Getting Established

Can I use this US power supply in Australia?

Electricity is confusing!!

I have this power supply that came with a security camera. I think I understand enough that it's compatible with our electrical system with a standard USA to Australia travel power point adapter (but I'm not positive). However, I'd rather purchase a replacement power supply that fits our Australian outlets.

Can anyone advise if there is the relevant replacement at Bunnings, and if it needs a power conversion? 

Power adapterPower adapter

The sticker on the power supply states 

Input(Л): 100-240V~ 50/60Hz 0.3A
Output(輸出):12V=1A

The end that connects to the deviceThe end that connects to the device

Is this called a DC cable? 

A link to the right product/s would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

Walter

Re: Understanding International Electrical Supply Conversion

Hey @learningDIYer ,

Good question, welcome to the community.

It's a DC adapter, yes. Takes 240v AC in and converts it to DC obvioiusly.

I'd get one of these.  Antsig adapter , I've found them very useful replacements, I always have a spare, so that anything that needs whatever variety of output works.

Thank you so much for prompt advice. So the one you linked is the correct one - 9-24 VDC? I did spot those Antsig adapters and thought I was on the right track, but then saw they had a range of options all mentioning different voltages and panicked 😄

jaiprak
Making a Splash

You just need to buy adapters that converts this straight plugs to the curved Australian ones. I have several adapters like this from my phones shavers etc and they all work fine 

Thank you but I don't want to use an adapter as it has to fit into a tight spot. 

Hi @learningDIYer 

When buying a PSU (Power Supply Unit) you have to be careful as there are regulated and unregulated versions. Regulated means a device in the PSU holds the output stable at the listed voltage. unregulated PSUs can vary in voltage depending on the load. In your circumstance, I would recommend finding a regulated one

Hey @learningDIYer  absolutely.

the one I linked allows you to select the output voltage, basically with a flat head screwdriver to turn the yello selector switch, which is then hidden when it's plugged in.

I've used them heaps of time.

Thank you so much!

Thank you I didn’t know that. I can’t see that detail in the Bunnings listings or some other local retailer items, including the one specifically linked by Walter. If they are regulated, will it state so? 

Hi @learningDIYer,

Let me tag @CSParnell, but I believe the unit @Walter has suggested would be suitable.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects