Workshop
Ask a question

How to paint a brick wall outside?

jfriso43
Just Starting Out

How to paint a brick wall outside?

The paint on the wall in front of a planter on my balcony  is peeling .  There is moisture behind it because of watering the plants  even though the soil is in  plastic planter containers.

i want to repaint it and want to prevent the same thing happening . 
How do I do that 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint a brick wall outside?

Hello @jfriso43 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about painting your brick wall.

When water passes through bricks any paint on the other side is going to get pushed off, this is due to hydrostatic pressure. It's possible to put a blocking agent such as Dunlop 4L Damp-Proof Waterproofing. You can then use a quality exterior paint like Dulux Weathershield.

However, if the pressure is too great, the water will find the weakest portion of the seal and spring a leak in that location. If that is the case, you might want to consider another form of decoration such as cladding or Merbau timber cover. 

The general steps to painting your brick wall is to remove as much of the old paint on the brick wall. You can use a scraper in combination with a metal brush. You can then use a pressure washer to thoroughly clean the brick surface. Once the surface is clean, you need to make sure that it is totally dry before painting it with the sealer. Once the sealer cures, you can then paint it with your topcoat.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects