Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kwila 3M x 4m back patio deck build

Oreoprojects
Having an Impact

Kwila 3M x 4m back patio deck build

IMG_20220123_175054.jpgIMG_20211112_102020.jpgIMG_20211211_134643_resized_20220125_024746489 (1).jpgIMG_20211018_091120.jpg

Built a 3M x 4M kwila deck for the back patio.

Materials

Kwila decking from Bunnings 150 x 90 unstained.

Decking joists 150 x 45

Coach Bolts - no nails

100 x100 house piles

Tools

Makita compound mitre saw

Bosh Blue drill

Bosh Blue drill driver

Steps

Step 1

Marked out 3m x4m using batter boards to get diagonal length correct and square.

Step 2

Marked and dug holes for poles

Concrete in poles

Step 3

Installed joists and bearers

Installed solid square wooden base on four corners - this will be used to screw in the posts for the pergola that will be installed later. A solid base is necessary so secure the pergola pole - screwing the pole just into kwila is not strong enough.

Step 4

Used full length Kwila decking - no unnecessary cuts and joins

Installed Kwila decking with coach bolts - no nails

Oiled deck

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Kwila 3M x 4m back patio deck build

Hi @Oreoprojects,

Thank you for sharing this project.

It looks like a sturdy deck and the kwila looks absolutely marvellous without any joins. 

This is a great addition to your home, congratulations on a job well done.

Jacob

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looks terrific @Oreoprojects. Many thanks for sharing the project with us.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Beautifully finished, well done.

Regards, Nailbag

tnsmith001
Growing in Experience

Excellent job and I love the colour

deebee1
Finding My Feet

What a fantastic job, well done too. We are looking at our options and want to go the cheapest route, either tile or wood. I like the look of wood. Hubby says tile. Can you give me approximately what that cost in just your decking as it's similar in size to what we want, give or take. 

Many thanks

Debbie

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @deebee1,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fabulous to have you with us.

Please allow me to tag @Oreoprojects so they are notified of your questions. Hopefully they will respond shortly.

You might also like to create your own post with a few photos and dimensions of the space so our helpful members can offer their advice and insight.

Let me know if there is anything else I can assist with.

Jacob

@deebee1 

Hi. The deck framing cost about $1200. The Kwila cost about $1500. Total cost including frame, kwila, coach bolts, staining , ground poles and other sundry materials was $3100. I coated the frame with linseed oil to seal the pine frame against water ingress and future rot(which builders do not do). These are prices from Bunnings Botany in Auckland. Builder quoted me min $9000 for the project and would have used nails rather than coach bolts to hold the kwila down. Note that i did not cut any cut pieces of Kwila - builders would use cut pieces to save cost.

@Oreoprojects,

Many thanks for your valued information. Unfortunately my hubby was right. It's going to cost more than tiling it. You did an amazing job it looks really good. Pat yourself on the back!
All the best to Botany and Howick - our old home.
Regards
Debbie

Hi. Glad you were able to use the information to make a decision to tile the area. Once your project is completed maybe you could post some pictures. All the best. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects