Workshop
Ask a question

How to paint gutters?

emma22
Just Starting Out

How to paint gutters?

Hello, I’m painting the external of my house. I’ve followed the advice i found on here to use the white knight rust guard brand. I’ve primed the gutters and all was well. After letting that dry for 3 days I’m applying the white knight rust guard advanced enamel paint but it’s not producing a good result, it’s patchy and streaky. I’m cutting in with a brush and using the uni-pro trade 160 roller that says it’s suitable for oil based paints. Does it just need a second coat or am I doing something wrong? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint gutters?

Hi @emma22,

You've not done anything wrong; this looks fairly typical for a first coat of paint. 

I'd suggest letting it dry sufficiently and then applying a second coat and evaluating the coverage once dry. 

If it looks good after two coats, you can leave it at that, but if it is still a little bit patchy and not quite as solid a colour as you'd like, give it a light sand with some 120 Grit Painted Surface Sandpaper and then apply a third coat.

Nothing about the photos I see ring any alarm bells. Apply the second coat and if you have any concerns, get back in touch with some photos and we'll offer further advice.

Jacob

emma22
Just Starting Out

Re: How to paint gutters?

Will do, thanks Jacob. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects