Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to Clean dried epoxy from concrete?

shary
Growing in Experience

How to Clean dried epoxy from concrete?

1B28F526-6E70-43D2-98C5-D5E01BE0EAC9.jpeg

97A9E4D9-C947-43D4-86E9-3A7538785044.jpeg

I have some dried droppings from epoxy that was left from epoxy work done couple of months ago. It’s stubborn, i tried using tarppin oil but that didn’t help.  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to Clean dried Epoxy from Concrete

Hello @shary 

Thanks for sharing your question about removing dried epoxy on concrete. If the epoxy paint has already fully cured, I suggest using mechanical means to strip it off your concrete. For the concrete area I suggest using 180grit sandpaper in combination with Trojan 5x15 Row Stainless Steel Wire Brush. The sandpaper will break up the surface finish and the brush can wear away the body of the epoxy paint. Please be mindful not to brush too deeply so that you don't start eating into the concrete. Your goal is to remove the epoxy as much as possible.

As for the epoxy on your Easy drain, I suggest just using the sandpaper. It will be unavoidable that a bit of the plastic will get sanded away, my best advice is to go slowly so as to avoid sanding too much. 

Let me call on out experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: how to Clean dried Epoxy from Concrete

Afternoon @shary 

My first thought was paint stripper but think thats probarly a little like going nuclear on it. I like the wire brush or sandpaper that @EricL has suggested as it will be least discolouring to the concrete and grate. You could even but a wire disc for your drill to sit there and gently work away at it. It may take some time and I would not "push" it hard for the same reason Eric states.

Craftright 5 Piece Wire Brush Set 

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to Clean dried epoxy from concrete?

Hio @shary I am in the same boat as both @EricL and @Dave-1 in using a wire brush. I have had to deal with similar issues myself, but chose to use a hand-held narrow wire brush so it's more concentrated on just that area. Just go lightly and use a dustpan bruch to regularly clear the area and check progress. Just be aware you're not going to end up with an area thats not noticeable, as removing some surface concrete will occur, but that will fade over time.

Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects