Workshop
Ask a question

How to clean barbecue stain on concrete?

tamaraml
Finding My Feet

How to clean barbecue stain on concrete?

cleaning outdoor floor - This stain was from our barbecue. How can I clean our cement floor?

IMG20240811145107.jpg

IMG20240811145106.jpg

  

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to clean barbecue stain on concrete?

Hi @tamaraml,

Thank you for your question about cleaning a stain caused by your barbeque.

It looks like you may have an oil patch that has developed over time with use of your barbeque.

If it is oil as I suspect, you can use CLR 750ml Grease & Oil Remover alongside a Sabco Bamboo All Purpose Heavy Duty Scrub to remove the bulk of the stain.

Unfortunately, if the oil has baked into the concrete, this may not prove 100% effective, and it would be very difficult to remove the stain completely without grinding back the concrete.

If you try the degreaser and scrubbing brush and find that you are not happy with the result, you might like to look into concrete paint as an option to cover up the stain, but you would need to paint the entire area for uniformity.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any solutions, @Noyade, @Dave-1, @DIYGnome.

You might also like to have a read of How To Remove Oil Stains for some further guidance.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @tamaraml 

😕 Feeling your pain. Its the one down side of a BBQ. The only answer I have for you and its not a great answer as it wont remove all the oil id say. Elbow grease with a degreaser of some kind. I have tried CLR as @JacobZ suggests and a couple of other foaming agents. They all work to a degree but elbow grease and patience is your best friend. I would keep on using the degreaser through several applications and use a course scrubbing brush (like the dark green side of a scourer pad) and work away at it. Its oil and looks like its soaked in some to the concrete.

On a side note I just had a stray thought... You could use an old iron and some butchers paper. lay down a few layers of paper and then iron the spot. Not confidant it will work but maybe worth a try.

Another one is to pour boiling water over the area in small doses, making sure you sweep the spot or dry the spot so any oil that melts will be removed. Not confidant but again, no harm in trying.

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

My 4-ring burner is responsible for most of the oil spills I own.

Apologies - but I just cover them with black mats from Bunnings.

20240812_172819.jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

@Noyade and @tamaraml 

I also BBQ'd at work one time..... yep the pavers do like to absorb the oil 😕

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects