Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How would I semi enclose my carport?

Shyanne
Finding My Feet

How would I semi enclose my carport?

1000017508.jpg

 hi all,

So I've been wanting to do this for ages just don't know what I'm doing.

I want to sort of enclose the carport just so my toddlers have an out side play area that I know they can't escape from I would live to have to gate around the side of it and probably only about waist height any tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How would I semi enclose my carport?

Hi @Shyanne,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's fantastic to have you with us.

It sounds like a fantastic idea that should be achievable with some basic framing and sheeting skills.

My suggestion is to build three half height stud framed walls out of 70x35 H3 and bolt them, using AnkaScrews, down into the concrete and sideways into the brick.

You can then clad them with Villaboard and install a gate to match the height of the wall.

See the basic mock-up below.

I'd suggest you have a look at How To Build a Stud Wall for some guidance. 

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any ideas, @Dave-1, @Nailbag, @Jewelleryrescue.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @Shyanne 

Yeah my thoughts went straight along the ones @JacobZ has suggested.

The only things I would add to his suggestions -

-Add a return where the gate is, just to give extra strength to the gate area. The gate will probarly get a fair bit of "wobbling" :smile:

-Consider an inside surface that can be painted with chalkboard paint.

-A more solid csection of wall between the brick pillars to screw things that whirl, move ect.

With the anchor screws, they can be removed easily when the walls are no longer required. 

Does any side get the wind/rain/hard sun?

Dave

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Shyanne 

I would  consider using tempory fencing for that area to keep your kids safe and happy. the following as a guide. $55 per panel over lap panels to fit space. or I love using colour bond fence post and rails as it is sturdy and in expensive and panels can be made almost any size to  a custom fit they can also be lined with  nice panels.  Include a  door/gate if you wish and colour bond  boxed panels dont need posts into the ground join them togther standard metal screws and into side walls. Some screws can hold bottom rail to the concrete.  Temp fence remember.

@JacobZ suggestion of framing is also good  and can be easy removed in future.  I  might even buy some second hand windows and and make a tempory solid wall.  If council disapproves you  will need to pull it down so keep that in mind.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/rapidmesh-240-x-210cm-galvanised-steel-temp-fence-panel_p0130627?srsltid...

Or  consider your kids will transform into young adults and transform that area into kids lounge and  further into a teenage retreat so they will have there own area later you can reclaim that space as a BBQ area?

Food for thought may your kids enjoy your space your making:)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects