Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

advice on creating screen made from sleepers

amichaelmedia
Cultivating a Following

advice on creating screen made from sleepers

1000011985.png

 hey team

I've watched a few videos and talked to some people about creating a screen of sleepers around a fire pit area in the corner of my yard.

Any advice,? Steps I should take?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: advice on creating screen made from sleepers

Hi @amichaelmedia,

If you're planning to use hardwood railway sleepers for your screen, one thing to keep in mind is that they are exceptionally heavy, especially compared to treated pine or other lighter materials. This means you'll need to ensure they are well-supported, particularly at the base, by using sizeable concrete footings. The taller your sleeper screen, the larger and deeper these footings will need to be to provide stability and prevent the screen from shifting over time.

You'll also want to make sure the sleepers are securely anchored into these footings. This can be done by directly embedding the sleepers into the concrete while it sets. I'd suggest a minimum footing depth of 600mm, but for taller screens or in windy areas, you might want to go even deeper to avoid any leaning or tipping.

Additionally, sleepers can create a fantastic rustic look, but they do require some ongoing maintenance to protect against the elements. If they’re exposed to rain or moisture around the fire pit area, it's worth treating them with a good quality wood preservative oil to prolong their life.

Spacing between the sleepers is another aspect to consider, depending on whether you want complete privacy or just a partial visual barrier. You could also enhance the aesthetic by incorporating climbing plants or vines between the sleepers, which would soften the look over time and add a bit of greenery to your fire pit area. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects