Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Picket gate for front decking

mrpatel
Growing in Experience

Picket gate for front decking

Hello, 

I would like to build a picket gate to replace this old one we have put back temporarily over our new decking.

Screenshot 2024-10-06 at 10.24.39 AM.png

Our previous decking was installed over tiles which were stuck over the concrete slab as the base and this gate was screwed straight in through the tiles down in to the concrete to keep it secure. 

Our new decking has been properly installed by a professional carpenter who has now made them floating over beams, so there is air circulation. The picket fence might look something like below (early sketch). What I am unsure about are the fixings I would need for the 3 posts as below to ensure they are properly secure to the decking. 

Thanks!

Ash.

IMG_1408.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Picket gate for front decking

Hi @mrpatel,

To ensure the posts for your picket gate are secure, they’ll need to be connected directly to the structural frame beneath the decking, as decking boards themselves are not designed to bear the load of gate posts. Simply fixing the posts to the decking could lead to movement over time, especially with the weight and regular use of the gate.

The best approach would be to cut away sections of the decking where the posts will go and install the posts through the deck, anchoring them into the structural beams or the concrete slab underneath. This way, the posts will have the necessary support and stability.

The other option could be to use a post support that can attach through the decking and into the timber frame beneath.

Given that your decking was installed by a professional carpenter, I’d recommend reaching out to them to come back and complete this part of the project. They’ll have the right tools and expertise to carefully cut the decking and securely fix the posts, ensuring everything is done properly without compromising the integrity of your new deck. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects