Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What treads for backyard steps?

Mits
Community Newcomer

What treads for backyard steps?

Hi Bunnings community! I’m excited to join the group. I’ve done a few DIY projects over the last couple of years but never hit a wall like this before, so I’m reaching out for some advice.

We’ve just built our new house and I’m tackling the landscaping myself. Our alfresco is raised about 600mm, and I need to build steps down to the backyard. I’m considering using the Peak 3-tread stringer, but I’m stuck on what material to use for the treads.

Initially, I was thinking of using 240mm x 3m treated pine, cutting it into three pieces and painting it, but I recently saw a post mentioning Ecodeck as an option.

Can anyone advise on the best approach? We’re trying to keep costs down, but I also want something durable.

1000175911.jpg

1000175912.jpg

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance. 

Mits. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What treads for backyard steps?

Hi @Mits,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

I actually think the idea you've proposed is likely the best one to go with. It is sturdy and cost-effective and being H3-treated pine, it will be weather-resistant and durable. Adding a coat of external paint with some sand added for grit will increase their grip and extend their lifetime.

As I've said, I think your selection is great, but I'll provide some alternatives for you to peruse.

There are also often 250x50 rough-sawn hardwood step treads in stores, but they are not listed on our website as suppliers are regional and stock flow can be inconsistent. If you wanted to explore this option, you could speak to the team at your local store's Trade Desk to see what can be done.

I can't say Ekodeck would be an option with your stringers. Ekodeck can be used when stepped decks are used, but this requires a considerable amount of framing. This is because the Ekodeck is not thick enough to support the weight of a person without framing beneath it. Using two stringers, Ekodeck would bow in the middle considerably.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Mits
Community Newcomer

Thank you, Jacob, for your timely reply. I will probably go with H3 treated pine and paint it.

Could you please let me know what kind of paint I can use?

Also, is there a specific type of sand that I can use to increase the grip, or will any regular sand work?

Thanks again!

Mits. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Mits,

An external paint such as Dulux Weathershield will work great.

Any sand will work, but this Ki-Carma Coarse Landscape Sand is a good option as it is a bit coarser than other bagged sands.

Let me know if you've got any other questions.

Jacob

Mits
Community Newcomer

Thank you, Jacob. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects