Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What sand or soil to use around house foundation?

ivanptr
Making a Splash

What sand or soil to use around house foundation?

20220603_130534.jpg

Screenshot_20230316-130712_Chrome.jpg

What should we get to backfill the foundation with ? 

So now we are back to our waterproofing project (excavation, applying waterproof membrane, backfill) 

But we already dumped the old clay soil. Now we are wondering what should we get for backfilling?

Seems the article suggests using dense clay soil for the trench outside our bedroom ?  

Problem is the outer area is all covered with dense clay soil , if we just backfill the trench with sand , not sure if its a good idea, making water drain through those dense clay soil to the sand next to foundation

On the other hand, clay soil gets dried slowly after precipitation, and its like a pool of sticky icecream next to the foundation so we are tempted to use sand

Thanks so much fof any idea

signal-2023-03-16-13-17-41-801.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What sand or soil to use around house foundation?

Hello @ivanptr 

It will require a combination of soil amendment, drain management and landscaping to repair the damage and prevent the area from getting too much water and turning muddy again.

First, drain management, if water is flowing, pooling or dripping in the area, I suggest putting in some drain coil with a gravel top. This will take care of the excess water in the area.

Next is soil amendment, after levelling and creating a slope at the side of your house, I suggest planning out how to improve your soil in the area. This step is actually in conjunction with the third step which is landscaping. If you modify the soil with sand and gravel it will not be a good medium to plant in. If you modify it with compost, it will complement the soil and the plants you put in it. I propose to carefully consider on what you can put in that area that will grow and stop the soil from turning into mud.  

Third step is landscaping, I suggest thinking about paving this problem area. If you pave the location, you can permanently divert the water that is coming into this area. It will never be muddy again and you regain the use of the area without getting your feet muddy.

Here are some discussions that I think will help you with your soil issue:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects