Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What liquid foam to use between driveway slabs?

Shark67
Just Starting Out

What liquid foam to use between driveway slabs?

Hi, was hoping to get some advice for the best liquid foam available to apply between slabs on my driveway.

thanks heaps 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What liquid foam to use between driveway slabs?

Hi @Shark67,

Thank you for your question.

Is it possible to get some photos of where you're looking to apply a filler product? Let me know if you need a hand uploading images, I'd be happy to help.

Unfortunately, it's not a situation that I'd typically advise using an expanding foam as they are not UV resistant. This means they will degrade quickly if they are exposed to the sun. 

When you say you'd like to apply it between slabs, how wide is the gap between them? 

Typically, between concrete slabs, I advise using Abelflex and Sikaflex 11FC Plus as they are designed with flexibility in mind for this specific purpose.

If you upload some images, I'd be happy to take a look and advise further.

Jacob

Shark67
Just Starting Out

Hi mate, please see attached images. It’s basically just where the initial foam was when the original slab was laid. 

IMG_0400.jpeg

IMG_0399.jpeg

IMG_0398.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Shark67,

Thanks for the images, that gives me a much better idea of what we're working with.

It looks like they may have used an expanding foam in the first place, which like I said, is not UV resistant. This is why it will have degraded over time.

I'd suggest removing what is in the crack, replacing with some Abelflex in a suitable width and applying the Sika 11FC over the top to create a flexible expansion joint like you will see in concrete construction all over the world.

Have a look at this video from Sika for some guidance on the process - Application sealing floor joints.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects