Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the safest, effective, pet friendly insecticide for succulents?

Newbie336
Community Newcomer

What is the safest, effective, pet friendly insecticide for succulents?

I’m new to gardening and have chosen the wonderful world of succulents. They are so adorable! 
I’ve managed to repot them all in a combination mix of succulents mix and Perlite for good drainage. I have a snail problem I’m about to address with some pellets. As they’re all outside, plenty of insects and I want to protect them. What is the safest, most effective, pet friendly insecticide to use, and any good information on this is greatly appreciated!IMG_5784.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the safest, effective, pet friendly insecticide for succulents?

Hi @Newbie336,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Insects are usually harmless and usually beneficial to plants, so keeping them away altogether is not really the best way to go. The best thing you can do is monitor them to ensure you aren't getting infestations. If you find insects are starting to cause issues, it should be treated on a case-to-case basis as not all products work with all plants and on all insects.

In the case of snails, pellets are fine, but a spray such as Multicrop EcoSnail And Slug Repellent is likely a better option simply because your pots are so small. This spray can be applied to the pot, as opposed to the plants which will deter the snails from climbing the pot and getting into your plant.

Allow me to tag @Noelle, our resident horticultural guru to see if she has any good information she can provide.

You might also like to check out How To Plant And Care For Succulents for some further information on succulents.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects